Today, you can ease the fears of many concerned children. You can make sure that they start school with a new backpack filled with supplies. This will allow them to look and feel like their peers and less like a poor homeless kid. Your kindness can give them a chance for new beginnings. You have the opportunity to change a child’s future.
Operation Backpack® Needs You
Our goal is to get as many full backpacks into the hands of homeless and at-risk students as possible before their first day of school.
Stuff A Bus Event:
We are so happy to partner with Fox 2 News & Gardner White to bring smiles to children's faces this school year. Join us for a one-day drive at Gardner White's Warren location to drop-off you donation of school supplies and backpacks. Look for the yellow school bus!
6500 E 14 Mile Rd
Warren, MI 48092
Wednesday, August 31 | ALL DAY
Operation Backpack® Needs You!
This year, there is an even greater need for supplies due to many families being out of work. With Operation Backpack®, community partners from across the state come together to ensure that children who are already facing enough at home, don’t have to worry about feeling like a homeless kid on the first day of school. With the right supplies and a backpack that fits them perfectly, fellow students will see them as peers rather than the poor or homeless kid. More importantly, it is proven they will have a higher rate of success in the classroom and learn more.
Your kindness can shine in making sure students have their own supplies and everything they need to learn. Not only would your kindness be helping children, but you would also help struggling parents breathe a sigh of relief.
Volunteer Week is Back!
You can personally sort and pack backpacks, and even write notes of encouragement to set children up for success. Operation Backpack® relies on the kindness of individuals just like you to make the biggest impact possible.
There are multiple ways that you, family, friends, and colleagues can help a child in need:
Host a Donation Drive
1. Sign up!
2. Identify your team members. Start raising awareness in your office or group of your drive and gather team members.
3. Set team goals.
4. Raise awareness. Post on social media and distribute flyers to get your community involved. You can download flyers and program materials below.
5. Let's go! Gather as many backpacks, supplies, and donations as possible.
6. Schedule a drop off. Please deliver all supplies and backpacks to VOAMI Southfield office at 21415 Civic Center Drive, Suite 306, Southfield, MI 48076 between August 15-19. To schedule your drop-off time, click here, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that this year we will not be picking up supplies. All supplies must be dropped off at our Southfield location or mailed directly to the office.
You can purchase supplies three different ways.
1. Download the shopping lists. (see below) Purchase listed items on your own and drop them off at the VOAMI Southfield office at 21415 Civic Center Drive, Suite 306, Southfield, MI 48076 between August 15-19. To schedule your drop-off time, email us at email@example.com.
2. Amazon Wishlist. You can pick what supplies you buy from our list and they will be shipped to our office, ready to be sorted. If you purchase from our wishlist, please make sure you put your name, email, and phone in the 'Gift Message' box.
3. Shop at our online store. You can shop at our online store and the items will shipped directly to us at our office in time for the first day of school. The last day to place your order is August 1st.
When it comes to making sure at-risk and homeless students are prepared to learn, every dollar counts. Click here to donate.
Studies show that prepared children perform better and have higher confidence levels in school. Operation Backpack® seeks to give that same opportunity to at-risk and homeless children.
Volunteer teams organize drives by raising funds and collecting new backpacks and supplies. Volunteers of America Michigan provides digital versions of a full-color flyer and poster that can be printed and distributed to help make your drive successful. You can download them below.
Operation Backpack® Toolkit
Here you can download your coordinator handbook, shopping lists, sample social media posts, and promotional posters. We want to help make your Operation Backpack® experience the best!
Operation Backpack® would not be here without you.
Your support and donations are critical in changing the lives of our most vulnerable students across the state. They are depending on you. You have the power to make our world a better place and give at-risk and homeless students a chance. Join us today!
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Phone: (313) 444-9119
Donors & Volunteers